I'll Be Home for Thanksgiving!

I know, I know.  Home is technically here now.  I live in Sweden.  But I'm at that point of excitement when you start saying in [insert time frame] I will be in [insert American city].  Well, next week's blog will be sent from Miami.  Bam!  So excited.

This one is going to be different.  I'm always excited to go back home, but this time I'm bringing the next generation.  So far only my mother and brother have gotten to meet Bash.  That takes it to another level.  I can't wait for Bash to meet all of the crazy people that helped make me into the crazy person that I am.  I can't wait for all of the crazy people to meet the person that I'm going to make into a crazy person one day!

I'm a bit apprehensive about the flight.  I'm that passenger that rolls his eyes and wonders why people can't get their kids under control.  Karma will probably guarantee that I'm the apologetic parent at some point on this flight.  The good thing is, we have a short "tester" connector in Denmark.  If things go sour we can just take a train back from there.  Yeah right!  They're just going to have to deal with it.  Im going to Miami, dammit!  We get plenty of advice, so we'll have a carry-on bag with new toys and a bottle with water and a tablet and earmuffs.  I have a distinct feeling that none of that will matter.  Bash is cool though, so more on that later, I guess.

One thing I'm glad about is the fact that we are only going to be in Florida.  Last year we spread ourselves too thin traveling from Florida to Georgia to Maryland to Jersey.  Never again!  It's good that we have friends and family up and down the East Coast, but it's just too much to move around like that.  I will get to spend some time with my Florida family.  Thankfully my mother and sister are coming down to join us for Thanksgiving week.

Oh, Thanksgiving.  How I love thee.  Not only the delicious food, but sharing that delicious food with the warmth of loving family.  American Halloween tradition has caught on here in Sweden, but I would love it if Thanksgiving caught on.  I can just imagine Swedes sitting around the table telling everyone what they're thankful for (our tradition) while trying to sound as modest as possible.  That would be hilarious.

       - I'm thankful for my new job.  It's just a regular job, though.  Nothing special, but I guess I'm thankful for it anyway.  Skål?

Regardless of that cold and awkward moment, I think Thanksgiving would be good for Sweden.  You get to live it up for one night and eat as much as you can.  Eat until you are completely stuffed and tired.  Then get a drink of choice (you love drinking, Swedes!) and sit on the couch and watch some football.  Doesn't that sound great?  The people that don't watch football can sit around and laugh/argue over an overly aggressive game of Spades (a card game likely responsible for 8% of divorces in the black community in the US).

I made Thanksgiving dinner here back in 2006.  It's possible.  It's a bit more difficult without the corn syrup-filled products and ready-made items.  I had to make cranberry sauce from scratch and form my own pie crust.  Mom couldn't help with that.  But I'm sure it was better for me than a can of cranberry sauce.  That was actually part of her instructions.

       - Go get some pie crusts.  They should be in the freezer section.  And get a couple cans of cranberry sauce...

In the end it made me more in tune with the meal.  I felt like I was cooking for the soul.  It was awesome to have family and friends sprawled about our apartment in food comas.  That is what is in store for you, Sweden.  Turkey, collard greens, mac & cheese, ham, rice, green beans, cranberry sauce, sweet potato pie, cake, dressing/stuffing and more!  You spend time with people you love and celebrate life.  Give thanks.  There's always something to be thankful for.  I'm glad I'll be home to give thanks.  Until next time...



Comments

  1. Excited for you guys, Jon! That sounds like it's gonna be a memorable trip :) Can't wait to read about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a "Good Guy"

From Hero to History (my daddy issues)

About strip clubs